Tuesday, January 15, 2013

THE OUTPOST

Working  on this blog is not as easy as I thought it would be. There's a thin line between sounding interesting and perhaps even a tad useful to others and just 'wine' ranting. But seeing as to this is NOT my personal space to share personal thoughts that no one necessarily gives a flying fuck about, I will make the extra effort and type…nicely, some insights. 
Or at least I'll try. 
(Unless anyone would rather hear about my path to self discovery and/or my reviews of bottles of red, then feel free to inbox me)

I've always thought of Beirut as a melting pot. Nothing much seemed to stand out as different nor eccentric even, or rather especially, when it proclaims itself to be. Most endeavors fall short, not according to my own standards as I am by no means a yardstick in any form,  but still, they do.
And everyone I meet seems to be complaining. People are bored. Or fed up. Or disenchanted. And I struggle not to feel the same. 
And then I meet those other people. People who are wide-eyed optimistic and will fight  to do something completely different and feel proud. 

And voila, behold, The Outpost

It is a magazine of possibilities as its founders describe it. And quite frankly, besides the fact(s) that: 
One- the topics, - socio-cultural, political, economical - are original and well written; 
Two- the takes on those aforementioned topics shed light on a completely new perspective - one that 'upholds an optimistic view on a world where possibilities are endless' (taken from: www.the-outpost.com/); 
Three- the layout is simple and crap-free; 
Four- the talents are honest and optimistic;
… the people behind it freaking rock. Seriously. Period. @Ibrahim Nehme, @Stephanie Nehme and the whole Outpost team.

Do check it out. You can find it at Antoine Bookshop, Urbanista, Suz's and several other places. You can even follow their online audio content.
And do like them on Facebook :)
Their first official issue #1 (following issue #0) just came out. Buy it. And stay tuned. They will be causing quite the stir.

A last word: Beirut is home, by choice. I could go elsewhere but for now I don't want to. I choose to be here. And I know I run the risk of having sounded a bit tough on it, but I'm told we are only so with the ones we care about the most. Plus, the storm has let up; I will too.

Petra

No comments:

Post a Comment